Ait Bougmez Valley trek 5d/4n
The valleys are home to tiny hamlets and villages of the ethnic Berbers, a herding and farming community. Visit their homes and interact with them to know more about their traditions and customs. See their terraced fields of corn and barley and get a glimpse of their day to day living.
Marrakech – Azilal – Agouti
Departure from Marrakech after lunch to take the road to ESF. Before Beni Mellal, you will turn off to the right to get to Lake Bin El Ouidane and make a stop. Then you reach the village of Azilal and arrive in the late afternoon of the gite AGOUTI where we find the mule team.
Agouti – Assif Aït Bougmez – Arouss
Walking tour through the villages and gardens checkered along the Assif Aït Bougmez up Arouss. The vegetation consists mainly of walnut, apple and fig trees.
Grown mainly potatoes in the valley. Overnight camping at Arouss.
attic of Sidi Moussa – Timit
The third day leads us to the foot of the attic of Sidi Moussa the village of Timit, visit the collective attic of Sidi Moussa, the very special architecture and its circular marabout who brings baraka for crops (inside the attic).
The hill from the attic, panoramic view of the valley… Overnight lodging in the village.
village of Ibakliouine – village of Tabant
The walk leads to the village of Ibakliouine to visit the dinosaur track sites. Passing through the village of Tabant main village in the valley on Sunday, the day of the souk, important in the lives of villagers
. Discovery of the traditional architecture of adobe houses, overnight lodging.
Tabant – waterfalls of Ouzoud – Marrakech
Take the road that takes you to Ouzoud. Walk to the waterfalls and you will come to Marrakech in the late afternoon to sit at the hotel of your choice.
The valley of Ait Bougmez is widely considered to be one of the most beautiful in Morocco, and it’s certainly one of our favourite places – anywhere in the world! It’s a fairytale landscape of farmers’ fields, characteristic adobe villages and has an other-worldliness that draws visitors in search of a mountain escape that combines beauty and rural culture. Tabant, the main village in the valley hosts an excellent Sunday market and the valley (known internationally as “the happy valley”) is the trailhead for an exciting hike up the country’s third highest peak, Jebel M’goun. Equally good as a region for easier grades of walking, given the valley’s wide, flat base, Bougmez is worth the extra effort to access as compared to regions closer to Marrakech.
- Group 1 person : On request
- Group 2 – 3 people : 445£/person
- Group 4 – 7 people : 365£/person
- Group 8 – 12 people : 325£/person
- Prices quoted are per person, based on sharing a twin room/2 person tent (unless otherwise stated). Additional hotel or riad nights after trek from 25 EUR p.p. twin/35 EUR single.
- Trek prices may vary depending of the season (High altitude Treks).
- Payment : can be done in € / $ / £ or MAD
- English speaking guide, and cook
- Muleteers and mules for luggages
- Full board on trek + mineral water, coffee and tea
- Accommodation in Mountain huts
- Ground transfers by minibuses / taxis: ( hotel – trek – hotel)
- Mess, cooking & toilet tents (camping option)
- Travel insurance.
- Soft/alcoholic drinks
- Tips and personal expanses
This trek runs all year round and can depart at any date of your preference.
We usually have several treks departing each week that you may join , please get in Touch!!
- Good walking boots and socks / good trainers for valley treks
- Personnel First aid Kit
- 3 to 4 season sleeping bag ( winter) or light Sleeping bag ( Summer)
- Lightweight waterproof over-trousers / rain-pants
- Water bottle or camel back (recommended)
- Soft-sided bag (50-80 litres)
- Lightweight daypack
- Torch and batteries
- Towel & all personal toiletries
Most of those equipment can be rented locally from our equipment shop in Imlil:
- Crampons : 5 €/ Day/pair
- Ice Axe : 3 €/day
- Walking boots : 5 €/day
- Sleeping bags : 2.5 €/day
- Rain Jackets : 3 €/day
- Walking Poles : 3 €/day/pair
- Back packs : 3€/day
- Stoves : 2€/day
The Accommodation during this trek can either be in a mountain hut for the winter treks or on camping if prefered from June -Octo
NB : If accommodation is required in the Atlas Mountains either before or after the trek, we can always book you at our Place in Imlil